Thursday, September 12, 2013

Auckland

When I flew into New Zealand I landed in Auckland, which is the largest city in NZ. I spent three days checking out a bit of the city and trying to do important things like apply for an ID number (so I could actually get paid for work) and getting a bank account, considering cell phone options, etc etc etc. Despite the jet lag (I was dragging for about a week after arriving, which I blame on the unexpected 6 hour delay in the Brisbane airport), I enjoyed a bit of sightseeing. Auckland has the hustle and bustle of a big city (it seemed big to me, with a population of 1.5 million) so I would not have wanted to live there.

Auckland Skyline


One attraction which is impossible to miss is the Sky Tower, which is the largest man-made structure in the country. It stands 328 meters tall (1,076 feet), and you can go to a viewing platform that is 192 meters up (630 feet). I went up at night and really had a lovely view of the city at night. During the day I used the tower as a compass because it was close to my hostel so as long as I could see it I could find my way back :)

The city at night

Sky Tower, taken from Auckland Park


I stumbled on Auckland Park while I was lost and looking for something else, but it turned out to be a nice find. After ambling through and seeing statues, fountains, and supper cool trees, the sun came out so I could sit and read for a bit until I was ready to move on.

Queen Victoria

NZ has cool trees :) 

War Memorial from 1900-1901


My favorite day while in Auckland was the day I took a half hour ferry ride to Waiheke Island. It was a good day for "tramping" so when I found a hiking trail close to where the ferry docked I decided to check it out. I ended up spending the entire day traipsing around one end of the island. I managed to get to the very tip, which had an incredible view. I saw my first NZ sheep farm (only took 48 hours to find one!!), had a picnic lunch by a pretty little waterfall, and went beach combing. It was a wonderful first taste of the beauty of New Zealand.

Trail through a nature reserve


Where I sat to have an afternoon snack 

Auckland is 11 miles that way 

The tip of the island :)


Pretty flowers in winter!

1 comment:

  1. So gorgeous!!!!! I'm so glad you are having fun sight seeing!!!

    ReplyDelete