Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Musical Adventures

My first week in New Plymouth I went past the historic cathedral, St. Mary's, and made a mental note to check it out when I had time, thinking it'd a fun tourist-ey thing to do. Little did I know that it would open the door to the world of music in New Plymouth.

It was sometime near the end of August before I had the opportunity to visit. I managed to plan well that day and had my camera with my to confirm the trip :) Upon entering the beautiful sanctuary, in addition to a colorful pipe organ, the architecture, and various cultural and decorative items, I noticed a lovely Yamaha grand piano. Naturally I had to check it out. When I got closer, I noticed a sign which advised the piano was available for use to local pianists as long as you contacted the cathedral's music director to make arrangements.






I promptly emailed the director, crossing my fingers for a positive response. I was pleasantly surprised when I was told that of course I could practice there, and while on the topic of playing piano, would I want to play in an upcoming benefit concert. I said of course so the practicing began :)

This past Sunday was the "Musical Extravaganza" at the cathedral, a fundraiser for the Taranaki Bible Society. Myself and 6 other soloists/groups performed a variety of styles and pieces. It was an important moment in my musical career for more than one reason. I hadn't performed as a soloist in over two years, so my nerves were making themselves known, but after it was finished, I was pleased to find I haven't completely lost my touch. This was also the first concert I have performed in that was publicized, with my name included. I also had the pleasure of opening the paper this morning and finding a review of the concert, which included comments on "Pianist Denise Wood, recently arrived from the United States..." Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, it was a special day because I felt as if the New Plymouth community embraced me. One of my goals in coming to New Zealand was to find a place where I could live; not be a tourist but become part of the community. As people greeted me after the show and asked when I might be performing again, I felt I had achieved that goal.




In addition to solo work, I've become a member of the New Plymouth Orchestra, at least for the upcoming fundraising tea-day and Christmas concert. I have been accompanying vocal lessons as school exams approach. Most recently I have been asked to accompany a vocalist visiting New Plymouth to perform and give master classes.

When I picked New Plymouth, I knew that it was by the ocean, and that there is a mountain close by, and that I know a couple people who live here. Now that I'm here I have discovered a close-knit community and lots of opportunity for involvement in music and the arts. It's a lovely place that is quickly coming to feel like home.



No comments:

Post a Comment