Monday, August 04, 2014

All grown up

It's funny what will make you feel like an adult. For me, it was not graduating college, or getting my first "real job" after said graduation, or even packing a suitcase to move to New Zealand. But two recent events in my life have made me feel as if I am indeed all grown up.

The first of these events is signing a contract at work which results in me becoming a salaried employee instead of just a contracted hourly person from the local employment agency. Yes, I am aware that being on salary does not necessarily you are better off financially since working more hours may or may not translate to making more money, but still. It made me feel grown up :) It also solidified for me that, at least for now, I was in the right place when it comes to work (yes, mom you were right again!). From my perspective, the company had enough faith in me and New Zealand's immigration system to take the risk involved in offering me the contract. I have the full support of my employer for my visa documentation, which is highly beneficial in keeping a visa to stay a bit longer in Kiwi paradise. An additional benefit to me is since I am now a Powerco employee, my boss has agreed to let me go through additional training to expand my skills. Who would have thought this little pianist from Missouri could figure out electrical stuff?! In the last few weeks I have been learning how to process/plan/approve the applications from our tree contractors who need to keep the lines clear of branches, etc. Fuses, switches, reclose blocks and 11meter Busck poles are worlds different from J.S. Bach and F. Chopin :) I am enjoying it though, it is a nice mental challenge.

The second "growing up" event was buying my first car! While my parents were wonderful in letting me have one of their old vehicles between college and New Zealand, it just is not the same as buying your own car with your own $$. That being said, if someone had asked me three years ago if I thought my first car would be a right-hand drive purchased in New Zealand, I probably would have laughed and said something along the lines of "Yeah, right." I did not buy a flashy, super exciting car, but that is clearly beside the point. I now own a 1993 Toyota Corona. I was actually not seriously hunting for a vehicle, but someone across the street from work was selling it, it is in excellent condition considering its age, and the price was right. I got to work one day and one of the guys on my team (who loves cars and was looking for an excuse to go car shopping) asked if I had seen it. The conversation wound up with us deciding I should go take a look at it. One thorough test-drive and negotiation later, I was working out to get the keys. I also had a fun international chat with my folks at home, since my dad knows lots about cars too, I called to ask him his opinion and mom jumped on the phone too, so she could ask the important questions like what color the car is and if it looked tidy :) All joking aside though, it was really a bit of a blessing to stumble upon, because the extent of my involvement in music in the area has made it increasingly to get around to rehearsals, gigs, schools, etc on time and without getting too wet if it was a rainy day. Not having to rely on a bicycle and the buses means I have greater flexibility to accept music opportunities which could eventually lead to full-time piano work, which would be a dream come true.
Anyway, here is my car :) The ladies at work have declared I need bright pink fuzzy dice.....we shall see on that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment