Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Time Travel

Those of you who are a bit more punctual than I would probably frown at me waiting so long to actually get this post up (since I actually should have put it up a month ago for it to be current), but I just have not been able to muster up the right amount of creativity for the words in my brain to get on to paper. Anyway :)

I went home for Christmas, which was fabulous. Having experienced a summer Christmas in 2013, I decided I just really do prefer cold weather and hot food to hot weather and a BBQ. Of course that is not to discount the quality of Kiwi BBQs, I just found find a summer Christmas a bit out of the ordinary.

Right now, with NZ on Daylight Savings Time, and the Midwestern US not on Daylight Savings Time, the time difference is 19 hours. So, for those of you who are stateside, I am officially living in the future, muwahaha. So getting all those hours backwards in time takes a bit. My journey began at 6am on a Tuesday morning. I was up just in time to see the first sunrise that day, although it was pretty boring so I failed to get a picture. Later that day, as I was flying away from Sydney, I saw that days first sunset.
Sunset Tuesday evening
After far too many hours of trying to sleep, failing to stay interested in movies, and reading three books, I was nearing Los Angeles and alas, I got to see the same sunrise on the other side of the world!
Sunrise Tuesday morning, 11 hours later

So, not only did I get to see the same sunrise twice, but I got to see sunset before sunrise all on the same day. If you have not yet had the opportunity for much international travel, let me just forewarn you that it does wonders for screwing up your logical perception of time. There is a slight chance that I am more fascinated by re-living the same day than most of the rest of society, but I thought I'd share it with you anyway, if for no other reason because then I can show off cool pictures.


Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment