Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Local News

I have lots to blog about but when I tell you all the fun stories, I want to have accompanying photos, which I have not yet sorted through to organize and find the best ones. So, I thought for now I would settle for a bit of an update on local news. Hopefully in the next couple weeks I can share goodies about the recent adventures I have had, including my sister visiting!

Firstly, if you had heard anything about “Cyclone Pam” that came through this part of the world, I can assure that all is well in New Zealand. The cyclone did hit some islands in the area, but nothing too close to New Zealand. The eye of the storm was within about 400 kilometers of the North East end of New Zealand, but the worst we experienced was some rain and high winds. On my side of the island, it was just a bit overcast. The worst damage was done to the island of Vanuatu, which is an island nation in the South Pacific, towards the upper corner of Australia (if you look at the globe, New Zealand is off to a bottom corner of New Zealand nearish to Tanzania). It has been an independent nation since only 1980, prior to that it was a colony of France. According to the news, about 80% of the island was seriously affected by the storm. New Zealand and Australia's Red Cross and National Guard have been providing aid in hopes of restoring some comfort and normalcy to the nation.

The Cricket World Cup has been going on the last week or two. While I am not a cricket fan and do not watch it, possibly in part because I do not yet understand it enough to really know what is going on (I do plan to eventually figure it out, but it has not yet made it to the top of the to-do list), I have been keeping tabs on how the NZ team (the Black Caps) is faring. Yesterday afternoon, NZ beat South Africa in a very close semi-final game. Per the morning radio talk, this is a good achievement, as in more than one prior World Cup, they have lost in the semi-finals. On Sunday the Black Caps will play in the Finals in Melbourne, Australia.

The neighboring town of Eltham, which reportedly is currently in the Guinness Book of World Records for the world’s biggest scone, is preparing for a unique annual event. Next weekend, on Easter Saturday, young and old alike will compete in the Eltham Cheese Race. I have not been to any such event, but from what I have been told, the contestants race down an incredibly steep hill trying to beat a roll of cheese... Yeah I really am not sure about this one, but if I hear anything else I will let you know J
Here is an article about a previous cheese day:


I just got peaches for an excellent price so I’m off to do some baking J Keep an eye out for pictures and travel stories coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment