Saturday, December 24, 2016

Eureka Springs

My sister is great because now that I have moved overseas, she acts as my US travel organizer. The last few trips I have made home, I have mentioned an idea to see something or go somewhere, and voila, big sis makes it happen J

So this past trip (yes I’m digressing a bit since I posted about Bach between this and LA but oh well), we explored a new part of Arkansas. We spent two lovely nights in Eureka Springs. For those of you who have never been, I do recommend it as a nice weekend getaway that has something to offer anyone. I would just be sure to plan the trip in good weather seasons as there are lots of hills and windy bits and places to walk/drive that would be less pleasant in snow or ice.

Funny things we saw on the way to, or driving through, Eureka Springs:
          - Domestic Tranquility Cabins, with a pink limo parked in front
          - Free Will Baptist Church (not sure why the name amused me so, had not seen this particular                branch of Baptist before)
          - Wagner Inn (the music nerd in me loved this one)
          - Hoedown Music Theater
          - A medical center attached to a thrift store that was selling gourmet coffee....unclear whether               the coffee was new or used  :)

Cool things we did in Eureka Springs:
1.       Ride the trolleys: This was great because when we did not feel like walking (or getting rained on) we could hop on a trolley and see the cool Victorian houses as we went through town.




2.       A ghost tour of the Crescent Hotel: I’m not necessarily a huge believer of ghosts, but you learn the history of the hotel and surrounding area, and explanations of the ghosts in residence do make for some good speculation and discussion.


3. Shopping! Because it is always fun to explore new shops. The problem of course was being selective in what would fit in my suitcase to go home.... A definite favorite shop was the clock store that had Phantom of the Opera clocks, and tiny shelf clocks that fit every hobby imaginable. I particularly liked the one where you had to open the lid on the grand piano to see the clock-face.



4. Visited the outdoor chapel on the edge of town, Thorncrown Chapel. Gorgeous spot. And we met a couple from NYC road-tripping across the country. 


5. Strolled through the woods to see pivot rock. 



6. Quigley Castle, a living piece of art that is still inhabited by the creator's family.







Merry Christmas to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment