Monday, April 24, 2017

Veronica Loop Track

We have been fortunate and had good weather the last couple of weeks. So I thought I should find time to squeeze in a hike because we really never know when we will be plunged into the damp rainy season, when I find it much harder to convince myself I am interested in embracing time with nature.

I made my way to the Mt. Taranaki visitor center and set off. I settled on the Veronica Loop Track since I had started it once but had to turn back. It is only a 3 kilometer track, but takes a bit of energy, as the first half kilometer is nothing but stairs!


Near the start of the track is the Ambury Monument. This is a memorial to a hiker, Arthur Ambury, who died in June, 1918 when trying to save another hiker who had slipped on ice.

The signs along the way entice you with the promise of a look-out. What I did not realize until after the hike was that to find the lookout, you had to go off the track just a bit, (up more steps of course) along a track leading towards a hug. Clearly I will just have to go back :)

Once you survived the stairs, there were two cute little bridges nestled along the side of the ridge, which led to a walk along the top of a ridge. An impressive view of the valley below was the reward for the climb, followed by a descent into Kamahi and Totara forest, a pleasant way to cool off :)






Who needs a selfie stick haha!









The Leaning tree of Veronica?




No comments:

Post a Comment