Saturday, November 25, 2017

Christmas Parade

I moved here in 2013 and have spent 3 of 4 Christmases here, but a summer Christmas still feels strange. Warm weather, fireworks for Guy Fawkes, and cooking outside on the BBQ all feel more reminiscent of the 4th of July than Christmas. But there is a noticeable presence of lights, Santas, and other festive cheer. So this weekend, we decided to participate in the season and headed into town for the annual Lions Club Christmas Parade.

This was the first parade I attended in New Zealand, and only the second in a foreign country (the first was for a major holiday in Japan, although I cannot recall which holiday...). For a parade put on with likely minimal sponsorship and largely volunteer efforts, it did not disappoint. I think my favorites were the bagpipes, the marching New Plymouth Brass, and the classic cars :)




Taranaki Bulls won the Ranfurly Shield this year!


Wearable Arts creations

I found Rudolph!

Apparently Harold the Giraffe has his own TV show....



New Plymouth Brass


No comments:

Post a Comment