Friday, March 01, 2019

Hiking at Pukeiti

Something I have always enjoyed about New Zealand is the prevalence of beautiful, free, safe places to be outdoors. Mountains, gorges, beaches, gardens and parks are everywhere, and almost all of them are free. The Doc segment of the government works hard to ensure safe and reliable trails and conservation areas are tidy and well maintained. With the wet and windy winters, frequent tourist traffic and natural predators, this is a massive task. Some places are flasher than others, and one should never presume there will be much in the way of amenities, but I have found it is always worth it to get out and discover a new place.

I was having a conversation with dad awhile back, when he shook his head at me and said he was not entirely sure how I managed to cram so much into every day/week/month, whatever. Hate to break it to you daddy, but I am pretty sure it is a hereditary trait :)
But, in order to not disappoint, I have set out to keep busy with a few things in 2019 (the biggie was pulling off the wedding, which I am happy to report was splendid!). One of those things is at to plan and enjoy one hike each month. Of course I am not limited to only one but since I have decided 3-4 hours is a reasonable timeframe to set aside, I figure setting one definite goal is reasonable.

January's hike was a chunk of the outer circle trail at Pukeiti Gardens. This is one of Taranaki's main large gardens, a massive work in progress to protect and main Taranaki rainforest. It is best known for the large amount of rhododendrons, but has a wide range of colorful sections. More recent additions to the garden include a lovely cafe (for the obligatory coffee after enjoying the garden) and several treehouses for the kids.

Mom picked this hike and it was an excellent choice. The outer circle are the rainforest tracks, about 9 kilometers in total that provide treks through rainforest, a summit climb, views of the Pouakai and Kaitake ranges and outlooks to the Tasman Sea. I estimate we did 5-6 kilometers of the tracks, saving the rest for another day when Taranaki summer decided to remind us just how hot it can get! Like any good Kiwi hikers, we retired to the cafe for a cuppa and a treat :)











No comments:

Post a Comment