Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Winter in Taradise

Over the weekend we were blessed with some lovely sunny days so a friend and I decided to take advantage of the opportunity for some fresh air.
We started low-key with an extended version of the lake circuit at Lake Mangamahoe, which meant we stayed plenty warm due to walking but got to enjoy lovely views of our snow-covered maunga (mountain). I say "extended version" because we somehow managed to double-back on a section of the trail and walk in a big circle a couple of times. We certainly did not mind the extra walking, but were extra hungry when we followed the kiwi tradition of replenishing at a coffee shop post-adventuring.


The following day we decided to head towards the mountain, with the intention of enjoying hiking the Dawson Falls track. We expected it to be colder at the mountain, but were pleasantly surprised to find that it has snowed enough that by the time we were at the right location we were in the snow. We enjoyed the Kapuni Loop Track that goes past the falls, as well as the Wilkies Pools loop track that offers lovely mountain views and some excellent stream crossings. I have done both of these tracks numerous times, but never before in the snow! It is also the first time I have played in the snow in July, first time for everything I guess, ha!

There were some brave souls out sledding, and a few snowman attempts. My hiking buddy was safe from snowballs, as it was very crystal-ey powdery snow, a bit different from what we usually see in Missouri. I realized it has been 7 years since I have been in real snow (I have done a few hikes in the winter where there was a bit of dusting here and there but I do not think that really counts) so it felt like quite a treat.

All this adventuring successfully confused my young nieces, who could not quite grasp how auntie had been able to go play in the snow when they had just got back from swimming in the lake. :)










No comments:

Post a Comment