Thursday, March 06, 2014

Team Day Out

I feel that I was lucky in finding the job at the insurance company, if for no other reason that I absolutely adore my co-workers (there are several other reasons, but that is a top one). Enjoying the company of those you work with is definitely something to be valued I think, it can make even the most monotonous jobs far less dull. My team recently decided we should have a day out at the lake before summer had completely passed us by. So last weekend we all woke up bright and early, packed a picnic lunch, and headed to Lake Rotomanu for a fun-filled day.

Two of the guys brought boats, and between everyone who came, there were enough wet suits, life jackets, and various water-sport toys to suit everyone. Top priority on everyone's list was teaching me how to water ski (yikes!). We tried, but decided we will have to schedule another outing for round two as it was not entirely successful. Just as it seemed I was off to a good start, the water skis would slip off, I apparently have narrow feet, and it seemed like no matter how we tightened them, they were determined to come off. For those of you who have never worn water skis, it is ridiculously difficult to walk in water while they're on. Every time you pick up your foot to take a step it feels like it is going to float away. And if you are not careful to keep both water skis straight, they cross and your legs get all tangled up, which means you faceplant in the water :) Re wearing a wetsuit.....well I was glad to have one, but it felt like I was wearing a suction cup.

Although water skiing turned out to be less than successful for me (my supervisor looked like a pro, and there were also some attempts at wakeboarding), I did enjoy a few turns around the lake on the biscuit. I even managed to not fall off!




No comments:

Post a Comment