Friday, February 28, 2014

Americarna

Red white and blue, American flags everywhere, BBQs, bands playing along the street, sunshine, cowboy hats, and good 'ol American cars and trucks. Except for no fireworks, it kind of sounds like the 4th of July, at least a little bit, right? Well, I have felt a bit like it was Independence day these last few days as summer draws to a close in New Plymouth.

This weekend was the annual Taranaki American Car Festival, known as Americarna. When I returned from my weekend driving adventure Sunday afternoon last weekend, I noticed all the shops around town had decorated in red, white, and blue, and I went from seeing virtually no flags, and certainly no US flags, to seeing the stars and stripes everywhere. I have to admit, I felt a bit of pride as I walked down the street :)

The festival was first held in 2007. The goal is to celebrate American classic vehicles, especially hot rods. It is meant to be something for the community to be involved in (hence the storefront decorations and displays), and an event for all ages. For further information, check out the festivals website:
http://www.americarna.com/About/

Because of my delightfully busy schedule, I did not experience much of the festival, but I did have the pleasure of being in town when all the cars and truck were parading down the main street. It was quite a wonderful range, and with all the flags waving, I once again felt like I should be planning to sing "The Star-Spangled Banner" and watch fireworks later in the evening. There were many fantastic vehicles there, I was able to ninja photos of a few so see below. It was a slightly odd sensation to see a whole heap of kiwis waving American flags, but again it did instill some twinges of patriotism. In addition to the parade around town, the cars were on display Saturday afternoon, as were the motorcycles for the Magogs (the local biker gang). I know the vehicles also made a tour of the New Plymouth rest homes, which I think is quite thoughtful of the festival planners.

I am not one to really get homesick, but I did enjoy the touch of home. Here are the good pictures I was able to get (like any well-prepared tourist I had left my camera at home as I had failed to remember the parade would be happening when I set out Friday night so these are what my phone could manage).













No comments:

Post a Comment