Saturday, August 01, 2015

Getting to Wellington

Last weekend, Troway and I went to Wellington to enjoy "Capitol 150," a celebration of Wellington being the capitol of New Zealand for 150 years. Museums, government buildings, war memorials, universities, and many other important sites around the city were open for free to the public. There was even a free shuttle to get you around the city. But more about that later, first I would like to share the unexpected adventure we encountered on our trip there Friday night.

They always say that half the fun of traveling is simply getting to your destination. I have found that to be mostly true, and I feel that was the case this time as well. I, in my infinite wisdom and confidence that I really do know my way around Taranaki, decided we should take a new way out of town. In my head we were taking a shortcut from the residential part of town to the highway that would take us past the mountain on our way South. In reality, we were taking a country road around the other side of the mountain and through part of the National Park (and therefore experiencing flashbacks to my childhood when dad would find "shortcuts" while we were on road-trips....must be hereditary haha). I found the new route nothing to complain about though, as it offered a new view of the mountain, and was perfectly timed to see the sunset behind the mountain.

The mountain as we left New Plymouth

North side of the mountain covered in cloud

Our detour

Leaving the cloud cover

South side of the maountain, towards Oakura








I'll post more details on the trip soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment