Thursday, December 19, 2013

Chance Encounters

One of the great things about traveling is the people you meet. Kiwis are friendly people and always ready to welcome you to their country. A lot of people I've met have traveled extensively throughout NZ so I've acquired quite a list of must-sees for my time here.

While I was in Wellington I was having lunch at a cafe with a friend. The lunch rush was in full swing so we ended up sharing a table with a gentleman and his young daughter. We chatted about traveling and places for me to visit and for him to visit if he goes to the US. His lovely daughter shared her french fries (I mean, chips!) with us. When they were ready to leave, they had gotten halfway to the door when she suddenly turned around and ran back to give me a hug and tell me that she had fun eating lunch with me.

One morning right here in New Plymouth I didn't have to be at work as early as normal so I decided to have some me time. I stopped in a little French bakery for some mango tea and a chocolate croissant. As I was making my way to a table I saw a lady there with a precious baby that was intent on saying hello to everybody. I stopped to say hi and 45 minutes later I had to hurry so I wasn't late for work. We traded travel stories and shared thoughts on life in Taranaki. My solo breakfast turned into a fun morning chat that resulted in me making a new friend.

A couple of months back I was up North at the Bay of Islands and booked a day tour that saw several wonderful spots including the tip of the North Island. Shortly after our bus started out for the day I realized there was a Japanese lady on board. We began talking and were fast friends by the end of the day. We made plans to stay in touch and I had the pleasure of showing her a bit of New Plymouth when she was making her way south. She has since returned to Japan but we are keeping in touch with emails :)

Thanksgiving isn't a New Zealand holiday but I happened to have time off for traveling that week. I had already wished my family a happy celebration and had made a mental note to catch up on turkey eating next year. Thanksgiving morning while making breakfast at the hostel where I was staying, I met a fellow American. Although we didn't discuss it much beyond wishing each other Happy Thanksgiving, it was a wonderful feeling to share a moment with someone who understands the significance of the day.

Some of the people I have met here have already become lifelong friends; others I will likely never see again. But each encounter makes an impact and creates a memory that serves as a reminder that no matter what country you're from, we're all people and in some ways are all the same.





No comments:

Post a Comment