Friday, December 27, 2013

Christmas Day

It's amazing how quickly one day can come and go. When I first arrived in New Zealand, Christmas seemed like an eternity away, and now we're already halfway through Christmas week to New Year's (which I've heard might be spent at the beach).

I spent Christmas with a wonderful family in New Plymouth that has adopted me as their American daughter. In many ways, it was the same as what I'm used to: sharing gifts, family and friends all around, lots of yummy food. But there were some quite noticeable differences. Instead of turkey and ham, we had chicken and pork. In place of hot beverages to keep the cold away, we had lemonade and ice water to stay cool. And there was no snowball fight, but we did have a water fight. I can say without a doubt, this is the first Christmas I was running around barefoot and joining a water fight. I can also say my team lost, but shhh we don't want to talk about that :)  I shared stories and pictures of white Christmases back home and my friends here told me about BBQs and playing Cricket on the beach (a game I have yet to wrap my head around, even though it's theoretically somewhat similar to baseball).

Most folks (including myself, yay!) are off work through the first week of January so the next few days will be laid-back and relaxed. The weather is wonderful right now, sunny most days and around 70 degrees, with a nice breeze so it's perfect weather to be outside. Next adventure: New Year's celebrations!



No comments:

Post a Comment