Saturday, December 21, 2013

Tis the Season

Contrary to what the weather may seem to indicate, it really is nearly Christmas. The closer we get, the warmer and more summery everything is becoming, so in some ways it has been difficult to feel like it is really Christmastime. Instead of being huddled inside by the fire, we have been scheduling BBQs outside. In place of hot chocolate or coffee everyone has been opting for a milkshake or iced coffee. Gone are the coats, hats and gloves and out have come the sandals, shorts and sunscreen.

A summer-time Christmas definitely takes a bit of adjusting, but it isn't without its charm. Coming home from the beach to write Christmas cards can be quite nice, and listening to Christmas carols while relaxing out on deck is really just as nice as being bundled up inside while it snows (although you don't hear "Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow" quite as much haha).

My Christmas season began with the orchestra's Christmas concert at the end of November, in which I had the pleasure of participating. Yesterday I enjoyed a Christmas organ recital at the cathedral after I'd finished the last of my shopping.

 Last week (which also happened to be my last week of work before the start of the summer/Christmas holiday shutdown), we enjoyed lunches, gift baskets, and a black-tie Hollywood themed Christmas party, all compliments of my employer.

The city park, Pukekura Park, is currently lit up with Christmas lights so last weekend I ventured out one evening for Christmas caroling, fireworks, and the lights.
The mountain as we entered the park

The crowd out for Christmas carols and fireworks

Everyone lit candles when it got dark :)

I think it's only green for Christmas time 


Most of the lights didn't photograph well, but these were cool :)

Now that I'm adjusted to the idea of it being Christmas while it's getting hot, I've quite enjoyed the decorations around town. Nature has decorated for the season as well, with the Pohutukawa trees, New Zealand's Christmas tree. They started coming into bloom 2-3 weeks ago and are positively lovely :)


No comments:

Post a Comment