Friday, February 17, 2017

Lake Mangamahoe

Last weekend we were blessed with a rare day of warmth and sunshine. This summer has unfortunately been a rainy extension of spring. Some days it's chilly, other days it is muggy (like today) and we have missed the endless hot days of sunny beautiful weather. So when we did have a nice day when I did not have to be at work, I decided I should explore one of the places around New Plymouth that I have not yet been.

Lake Mangamahoe is located just a few minutes South of New Plymouth.
The land was purchased by the council in the 1920s to be turned into a lake with a dam to water to supply the expanding area. It was named after the Mangamahoe stream, which flows into the lake. The lake is also used for power generation.

I knew it was a popular place for walking and mountain biking, but did not realize there was such an array of choices. I quickly found that I had given myself far too little time; oh well, I will just have to go back!
I chose to start at the far end of the lake, so that I could get the scenic view of Mt. Taranaki. Since it was late in the day I only did a short loop but I fully intend to return so I can do the entire lake circuit.


Power Station

Redwood glade




Swans!


No comments:

Post a Comment