Monday, February 27, 2017

Music Notes

Each year that I have lived in New Plymouth, the area has found something new to offer me in the music realm. This year is no different, bringing opportunities to keep me busy several days a week.

I continue to accompany a high school choir, which means weekly rehearsals and performances sprinkled throughout the year.
I am also still teaching from home, with 8 students this year. Each brings his or her own challenge to the job, as no two students are alike. Some of my high school students have chosen to focus on performance in some of their exams, which is an exciting opportunity. We have been selecting music to work on and I am happy to report some selections include pieces by American composers. We have already agreed to ignore my natural bias J But setting the bias aside, American music is rarely studied here so it is an opportunity for the students to explore a different genre.

As if all that was not enough, I decided to add participation in the New Plymouth Operatic Society’s production of Mary Poppins. Some of you may remember Phantom of the Opera from 2014, where I was a member of the orchestra. This year I have taken a step up and am rehearsal accompanist. It is a great opportunity to expand my ability to play choral and show scores, as I get to juggle under-scoring of scenes with accompanying the backing vocals during company numbers. It is great fun though. Luckily I am not completely on my own, as I am splitting rehearsals with another of New Plymouth’s great pianists since the volume of rehearsals requiring a pianist is steadily increasing.
The show will be on 6-22 July, should you wish to pop over for a show J


See below for details:

No comments:

Post a Comment