Wednesday, February 01, 2017

South Island Hikes

I am pretty sure that no trip in New Zealand would be complete without doing a bit of hiking. I enjoy seeing new places and while I am do not consider myself a really serious hiker, I have come to appreciate the challenge of exploring new parts of the world on foot.

We did a destination hike to Coal Creek Falls. I did not feel it was wonderful as a hike, but the view at the end was fantastic, so it was worth the effort.






From the beach at Greymouth we took the Point Elizabeth walkway over the ridgetop and through the woods J It was a good mix of shaded and open, so we got ocean views with no overheating since the track wound in and out of trees.











New Year’s Eve we headed towards the Northwest corner of the island to Abel Tasman National Park. We enjoyed a beautiful coastal hike that took us to Apple Tree Bay. It was a hot sunny day, so we spent a good portion of the hike anticipating a relaxing afternoon cooling off at the beach. Unfortunately that did not happen since it started raining about 10 minutes after we got to the beach. It was a lovely area though, and I look forward to going back to maybe one day complete the entire 60 kilometer (37.3 miles) track.









No comments:

Post a Comment