Saturday, February 15, 2014

IRMT Conference

In the last couple of months, I have become increasingly involved in music here in New Plymouth. Since I would eventually like to work full-time as a musician, I find this quite exciting. Right now, I have two piano students, with the possibility of more to come. I am the on-staff accompanist for one of the girls high schools. I am a member of the pit orchestra for the upcoming Operatic Society production of Phantom of the Opera (perhaps most excited about that!). I have two solo performances in March, and I am preparing sonatas for a future performance with a local violinist. I have also been asked to join one of the orchestras as they are in need of an oboist, but have yet to commit to that as I need to consult my day planner to see whether I could make the rehearsals.

But anyway, on to what I am meant to write about today. About a month ago I had the pleasure of enjoying some yummy cups of coffee at a delightful little coffee shop down by the port, called "The Bach," in the company of the local director of IRMT (Institute of Registered Music Teachers in New Zealand). While it is not a mandatory registration to teach in New Zealand, it is highly encouraged as the organization provides support and materials for the teachers, and it is much easier to be hired by schools or other education organizations if you show your registration, as it confirms that you have become certified by the organization. I have begun the process but it is not yet complete. Other local IRMT members must vouch for you, and you must be observed teaching, in addition to submitting the application which details your education, experience, etc., so it takes a bit of time.

While we were chatting, I was advised of the fast approaching 2014 IRMT Conference, which was to be held in New Plymouth this year. I was encouraged to attend so I added it to my to-do list. I was only able to attend one of the three days of the conference, due to work and other commitments, but I picked an excellent day to attend and feel I learned as both a teacher and a performer.

The day was led by a chamber group called the "NZ Trio." Throughout the day there were four sessions, all of which focused on teaching styles and techniques. Local students had volunteered, or been volunteered, to perform. The trio members would conduct a masterclass with the student(s) and then open the floor to all for questions, discussion, etc. I don't have too much teaching experience as of yet, so I was keen to absorb any tips I could. As I am currently preparing for a recital, I felt that I gained just as much, if not more, as a performer, through observing the master class and the ideas put forth by members of the trio while working with the students.

The NZ Trio was formed in 2002. The group consists of a cellist, a violinist, and a pianist. The focus is to perform New Zealand's music, and they often commission works by local composers. They performed for the conference before the first session began, and I highly recommend the group to those of you who enjoy listening to chamber music :) Lunch was my favorite part of the day at the conference, as I had the opportunity to enjoy chatting with the cellist and violinist. They joined myself and another American pianist, who arrived in NP about the same time that I did (this was actually the first time we'd been able to meet; ever since arriving we had each been hearing about the other, and had sent work to the other when we were not able to take it, but had not yet met). The members of the trio have traveled, performed, and studied internationally, so we had an insightful conversation on some of the differences between music in New Zealand and in other places, especially the US. Myself and my new-found American friend had begun a comparison of the approach to performing and teaching music between here and back home, so we enjoyed the input from seasoned performers who have seen and understand both sides of it.

I had not been to any sort of teaching conference before so this was a new and wonderful experience. I think that perhaps one of the most enjoyable aspects of it was that I knew many of the teachers who were there from other involvement in music around town. I felt as if I was a part of the community and this was an event in my now every-day New Plymouth life. It is a nice feeling, because for some time I had a goal of working overseas, somewhere I could go and become a part of the community, one of the locals. I'd say mission accomplished :)

On a side note (no musical pun intended of course!), yesterday I saw someone riding a unicycle down the coastal walkway.

Also, picture of the day: sunset last night :)


No comments:

Post a Comment